Saturday, May 21, 2011

Yogurt and Granola



Alright sisters. I got ambitious. Everything turned out very, very good. And it was all very, very easy.
Yogurt
http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/02/make-yogurt-in-your-crock-pot/
Follow this recipe with exactness. Maybe a Saturday project because you have to do stuff 2.5 hours after you start, then again 3 hours later, then again 8 hours later. Just buy plain yogurt, I got low fat because it was all the store sold, but I don't think it matters. I used Vitamin D milk - pasteurized and homoginized, do not get ultra pasteurized. It turned out really good - it is plain yogurt so you need to add vanilla and brown sugar to make it taste good.
*By the way, apparently you can make cream cheese by draining the yogurt in cheesecloth in the fridge for 5 hours. Will report later once I have tried this.

Granolahttp://www.slashfood.com/2007/08/31/a-granola-recipe-from-my-moms-hippie-youth/
You can use maple syrup or honey, or both. I did both, and I did a little over a half cup because I thought it needed the moisture. I wouldn't be afraid to add a little more canola oil either. I did not use coconut or sesame seeds, and instead of peanuts or almonds I used walnuts because I have a whole bunch. I also increased the 1/4 of wheat germ to 1/2 cup, which I think was a good choice because it helps form clusters. When you are done mixing in the bowl, and there are not many clusters, add a little water and that will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment